Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Joop Geesinkweg 841, 1114 AB, Amsterdam, Netherlands 
  • office[at]immigration-netherlands[dot]com
  • +31630863933
Our Articles

Moving to the Netherlands from Malaysia

Moving to the Netherlands from Malaysia

Malaysian citizens who intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months need  to acquire a temporary residence permit (MVV). According to your residency status and nationality, a work permit may also be needed in the Netherlands. Our immigration lawyer in Netherlands can give you extensive details about the provisions of the Dutch immigration legislation.  

Residency permit for Malaysian citizens moving to the Netherlands

All nationals of Malaysia who want to relocate to the Netherlands need a temporary residence permit (MVV) in order to legally stay in the country. The MVV application automatically starts the entry and residence procedure (TEV). This means that you apply for an entry permit and a residence permit at the same time. Please note that this application cannot be done in the Netherlands and it has to be fulfilled in your country of origin. This usually takes place at a Dutch consulate or embassy, unless you have a sponsor in the Netherlands who can apply for a residence permit on your behalf, in the Netherlands.

Specific documents must be submitted with the Dutch authorities, according to the purpose of your stay in the Netherlands (family, education, work). If your documents are written in a foreign language, they must be translated into English, Dutch, French or German before being submitted with the Dutch embassy or consulate. If you are approved a residence permit in the Netherlands, you will receive a written confirmation of approval. With this confirmation you go to the IND desk and collect your residence permit. If you need professional assistance in applying for a residence permit, you can rely on the help of our Netherlands immigration lawyer.

Are you interested in acquiring Dutch citizenship? In most cases, this is possible through the ordinary, naturalization procedure applicable to foreign nationals who have been lawfully living in the country for five years. When you apply to become a Dutch citizen you should know that you will be asked to renounce your Malaysian nationality. Our team can give you more details.

Things to do upon arrival in the Netherlands

After you are granted a residence permit you can relocate to the Netherlands. We provide you with a list of things to do once you arrive in the Netherlands. These include the following:

•    Collect the residence permit from a regional IND desk – this has to be done within the first two weeks of your arrival in the Netherlands;
•    Undergo a tuberculosis test at the Municipal Health Service;
•    Register with the municipality where you reside –  a translated and legalized birth certificate is necessary for this step;
•    Start the specific integration period – you will have to take a civic integration exam, learn Dutch language and customs.

If you are a Malaysian citizen interested in moving to the Netherlands, feel free to contact our immigration lawyer who can help you obtain the necessary permits and can tell you more about the things to do upon arrival.